Is a cup of joe your go-to dish at breakfast restaurants?
While it is generally agreed upon that eating breakfast is the best way to start your day, many might argue that the best dish at breakfast restaurants or at home is a mug of hot coffee. The numbers seem to agree with this idea when you consider that that 65% of the total coffee consumption in America takes place during breakfast hours. The first literary reference to coffee being consumed in North America was in 1668 and the rich, aromatic beverage quickly became the drink of choice.
It is no secret that Americans are addicted to coffee. We spend $18 billion dollars a year on specialty coffee in this country. Not only do we love the caffeine kick-start, the drink has become a ritual and experience all on its own. Just how much do American love coffee? Here are a few statistics to think about while enjoying a cup at breakfast restaurants, at home or on the road.
- 54% of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee every day
- The average drinker consumes 3.1 (9-ounce) cups per day
- 30 million daily drinkers consume specialty beverages (latte, mocha, etc.)
- 60% of American coffee drinkers claim to need a cup to start their day
- 54 % of coffee drinkers say it makes them feel more like their self
- 68% of coffee drinkers have a cup within the first hour of waking up
- 30% is consumed between meals
- $4 billion a year is spent importing coffee into the United States
- 65 % of coffee drinkers add cream and/or sugar